Special Education Programs
Interactions programming supports students with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). ASD impacts how people understand what they see, hear and sense. This lifelong disability can result in difficulties in communication, social relationships, behaviour or learning. Although some students with ASD achieve at grade level, many have uneven or delayed achievement.
- Improve communication, social interaction and behaviour while developing academic skills
- Demonstrate growth in communication skills
- Demonstrate growth in building and maintaining relationships, and understanding social situations
- Demonstrate growth in managing frustration and problem-solving
- Improved ability to handle change or challenging emotions (e.g., anxiety)
- Development of life skills to support independent living and employment
- Structured environment with regular routines
- Smaller classes for more targeted instruction
- Visual aids, concrete examples and hands-on activities
- Frequent praise and other meaningful rewards to help students adopt positive behaviours and attitudes
- Opportunities to join other classes for instruction in a student’s areas of strength
At Parkview the Interactions program is a District Site available for students in Grades 7 to 9 who have been diagnosed with Autistic Spectrum Disorder. Please call the school office at (780) 483-3415 if you have any questions or require any more information about this program.